- 1508 Maximilian I proclaimed Holy Roman Emperor,though 1st Emperor in centuries not to be crowned by the Pope
- 1778 France recognizes USA, signs Treaty of Alliance in Paris; 1st US treaty
- 1819 Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles founds freeport harbor Singapore
- 1952 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds King George VI to the British throne
- 1992 The Sámi people of the far northern Nordic countries have an official day celebrating their existence.
"Monopoly" board game goes on sale for 1st time
On This Day in 1935