- 1492 Christopher Columbus discovers Cuba and claims it for Spain
- 1538 The first university in the New World, the Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino, is established on Hispaniola
- 1746 Peruvian cities of Lima and Callao demolished by earthquake, 18,000 die
- 1904 St Louis police try a new investigation method - fingerprints
- 1919 Volstead Act passed by US Congress, establishing prohibition, despite President Woodrow Wilson's veto
- 1924 Miner M.de Bruin discovers the infant fossil skull, "Taung child" in a lime quarry in Taung, South Africa. Paleoanthropologist Raymond Dart identifies the fossil as a new hominin species, Australopithecus africanus.
Statue of Liberty dedicated by US President Grover Cleveland, celebrated by first confetti (ticker tape) parade in New York City
On This Day in 1886