- 1597 1st Dutch East India Company ships return from the Far East
- 1619 1st known African Americans in English North America (approx. 20) land at Point Comfort (Fort Monroe), Virginia. They are then sold or traded into servitude.
- 1741 Alaska first sighted by Danish explorer Vitus Bering at head of Russian expedition
- 1866 President Andrew Johnson formally declares US Civil War over
- 1882 Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" opens in Moscow
- 1968 During the night 200,00 Warsaw Pact Soviet led troops begin to invade Czechoslovakia in response to the Prague Spring
- 1993 Oslo Peace Accords signed, after secret negotiations in Norway, followed by a public ceremony in Washington, D.C. the following month
British PM Churchill says of Royal Air Force, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"
On this day in 1940
Longest US men's single tennis tournament match Palmer Presbrey defeats T S Tailer, 19-21, 8-6, 6-1, 6-4, an 80 game 1st-round contest
On this day in 1888