- 1099 First Crusade: Godfrey of Bouillon is elected the first Defender of the Holy Sepulchre of The Kingdom of Jerusalem.
- 1456 Battle at Nandorfehervar (Belgrade): Hungarian army under Janos Hunyadi beats Sultan Murad II
- 1515 First Congress of Vienna settles issues between Poland & Holy Roman Empire - rise of the Habsburgs influence
- 1942 Warsaw Ghetto Jews (300,000) are sent to Treblinka Extermination Camp
- 1963 Sarawak achieves independence from British colonial rule
- 2011 Norway is the victim of twin terror attacks, the first a bomb blast targeting government buildings in central Oslo, second a massacre at a youth camp on island of Utøya
Alexander Mackenzie reaches the Pacific Ocean, becoming the first Euro-American to complete a transcontinental crossing of Canada.
On this day in 1793