- Feb 22 Battle of Cassel; Robert I the Frisian defeats Arnulf III/I
- Apr 16 Bari falls to Robert Guiscard, ending Byzantine rule in Italy.
- Aug 5 Emperor Romanos IV Diogenes captured/Islam advances through Europe
- Aug 12 Alp Arslan beat Byzantines, emperor Romanos IV Diogenes
- Aug 19 Battle at Manzikert: Seldjuken sultan Alp Arslan beats Byzantine King
- Aug 26 Battle of Manzikert, Byzantine Armenia (modern Malazgirt, Turkey). Fought between Byzantine Empire and Seljuq Turks.
- Henry IV
Holy Roman Emperor
- Oct 22 William IX, Duke of Aquitaine and poet (d. 1126)
- Feb 22 Arnulf III, earl of Flanders/Hainault (Arnulf I), dies in battle