- Jan 21 German King Heinrich IV petitions Pope Gregory VII for forgiveness
- Jan 28 German King Henry IV is absolved by Holy Roman Emperor Pope Gregory VII after his penitent Walk to Canossa.
- Jan 30 Pope Gregory VII pardons German emperor Henry IV
- Apr 3 The first Parliament of Friuli is created.
- Oct 30 Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV gives the district of Stavoren to the bishop of Utrecht (Conrad, his former tutor)
- Henry IV
Holy Roman Emperor
- Jan 4 Emperor Zhezong of Song Dynasty in China (d. 1100)