- Jan 26 English king Edward III proclaimed king of France
- Apr 1 Niels Ebbesen kills Gerhard III of Holstein in his bedroom, ending the 1332-1340 interregnum in Denmark.
- Jun 7 Rotterdam Netherlands founded
- Jun 24 English fleet destroys the French at the battle of Sluys (the Hundred Years War)
- Sep 25 England & France sign disarmament treaty
- Oct 30 Battle of Rio Salado Battle (or Tarifa): King Afonso IV of Portugal and King Alfonso XI of Castile defeat Sultan Abu al-Hasan 'Ali of Morocco and Yusuf I of Granada, last Marīnids invasion of Iberian Peninsula
- Edward III
King of England