- Jan 17 Pope Gregory XI moves the Papacy back to Rome from Avignon.
- Feb 3 Mass execution of population (between 2,500 and 5,000) of Cesena, Italy, by Breton troops of Giovanni Acuto under the command of Robert, Cardinal of Geneva, acting as the legate of Pope Gregory XI
- May 22 Pope Gregory XI issues five papal bulls to denounce the doctrines of English theologian John Wycliffe.
- Jun 22 Richard II succeeds Edward III as king of England
- Jun 29 French raid at Rye, England
- Edward III
King of England