- Jan 7 Francis Bacon becomes Lord Chancellor of England
- May 15 Johannes Kepler discovers harmonics law
- May 23 2nd Defenestration of Prague; beginning of 30 Years War. Two Catholic Lords Regent and their secretary thrown out of window - they were not seriously injured by the 70 foot fall.
- Jul 16 Capt John Gilbert patents 1st dredger in Britain
- Jul 30 Prince Maurits' troops pull into Utrecht
- Sep 4 "Rodi" avalanche destroys Plurs, Switzerland, 1,500 killed
- Oct 29 English adventurer, writer, and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against James I of England.
- Dec 11 Russia & Poland signs Peace treaty of Dailino
English adventurer, writer, and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against James I of England.
On October 29, 1618
- James I and VI
King of Great Britain
- Jan 1 Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, Spain, Baroque artist [baptized]
- Jan 14 Jan Six, Dutch mayor of Amsterdam
- Apr 2 Francesco M Grimaldi, mathematician/physicist (light defraction)
- Apr 13 Roger de Rabutin, Comte de Bussy, French writer (d. 1693)
- Sep 9 Joan Cererols, Catalan musician, composer and monk, born in Martorell (d. 1680)