- Feb 1 French King Louis XIV limits freedom of religion
- Mar 11 Volcano Etna in Italy erupts killing 15,000
- Mar 25 Mount Etna in Sicily erupts, destroying Nicolosi, killing 20,000
- May 31 Citing poor eyesight, Samuel Pepys records the last event in his diary.
- Jun 19 Polish parliament selects Litouwer Michael Wisniopwiecki as king
- Jul 6 LaSalle leaves Montreal to explore Ohio River
- Jul 21 John Locke's Constitution of English colony Carolina is approved
- Sep 6 The siege of Candia ends with the Venetian fortress surrendering to the Ottomans.
- Dec 20 1st jury trial in Delaware; Marcus Jacobson condemned for insurrection & sentenced to flogging, branding & slavery
- Dec 31 France & Brandenburg sign secret treaty
Citing poor eyesight, Samuel Pepys records the last event in his diary.
On May 31, 1669
- Feb 1 Miguel Lopez, Spanish composer and organist, born in Villarroya de la Sierra (d. 1723)
- Feb 2 Louis Marchand, French baroque composer and organist (d. 1732)
- May 26 Sébastien Vaillant, French botanist (d. 1722)
- Jun 24 Francois van Aerssen, Dutch vice-admiral (Suriname/Algeria)
- Jun 30 Mauritius Vogt, composer, born in Königshofen, Bavaria (d. 1730)