- Jan 10 "Common Sense" Pamphlet by Thomas Paine, published advocating American independence
- Mar 9 Publication of the influential economics book "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith
- Jun 11 Continental Congress creates committee (Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Robert R. Livingston) to draft a Declaration of Independence
- Jul 2 Continental Congress resolves "these United Colonies are & of right ought to be Free & Independent States"
- Jul 4 US Congress proclaims the Declaration of Independence and independence from Britain
- Aug 2 Formal signing of the US Declaration of Independence by 56 people (date most accepted by modern historians)
- Sep 9 Congress officially renames the country as the United States of America (Was the United Colonies)
- Sep 10 George Washington asks for a spy volunteer, Nathan Hale volunteers
- Nov 16 British troops capture Fort Washington during American Revolution
- Dec 19 Thomas Paine published his 1st "American Crisis" essay, in which he wrote, "These are the times that try men's souls"
In a bar decorated with bird tail in Elmsford, New York, a customer requests a glassful of “those cock tails” from bartender Betsy Flanagan
On October 18, 1776