- Jan 7 1st US commercial bank, Bank of North America, opens in Philadelphia
- Jan 15 Robert Morris, the Superintendent of Finance, recommends to U.S. Congress the establishment of decimal coinage and a national mint
- Feb 4 British garrison surrenders to French & Spanish fleet
- Feb 5 Spanish take Minorca (western Mediterranean) from British
- Feb 13 French fleet occupies St Christopher
- Feb 21 US Congress resolves establishment of a US mint
- Mar 8 Gnadenhutten Massacre - Ohio militia kills 90 indians
- Mar 23 "Les Liaisons dangereuses" by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos is published by Durand Neveu
- Mar 27 Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham, becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- Apr 6 Rama I succeeds King Taksin of Siam (modern day Thailand), who is overthrown in a coup d'état.
George Washington creates the Purple Heart medal (original name Badge of Military Merit) as commander of the Continental Army
On August 7, 1782