- Jan 8 Battle of Blaauwberg: British forces attack French vassal, the Batavian Republic near Cape Town, modern day South Africa
- Jan 8 Lewis & Clark find skeleton of 105' blue whale in Oregon
- Jan 9 Admiral Viscount Horatio Nelson receives a state funeral and is interred in St Paul's Cathedral, London
- Jan 10 Dutch in Capetown surrender to British
- Jan 12 French evacuate Vienna
- Jan 19 United Kingdom re-occupies the Cape of Good Hope following victory in the Battle of Blaauwberg over French vassal, the Batavian Republic. Establishes British rule in South Africa.
- Jan 30 Prussia takes possession of Hanover
- Jan 30 The original Lower Trenton Toll Bridge, which spans the Delaware River between Morrisville, Pennsylvania and Trenton, New Jersey, is opened. A later bridge opened in 1935 is also known as the Trenton Makes - the World Takes Bridge.
- Feb 11 William Grenville becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom following the death of William Pitt the Younger
- Mar 29 Construction is authorized of the Great National Pike, better known as the Cumberland Road, becoming the first United States federal highway.
Andrew Jackson kills Charles Dickinson in a duel after Dickinson had accused Jackson's wife of bigamy.
On May 30, 1806