- Apr 11 Napoleon abdicates unconditionally; he is exiled to Elba
- May 4 King Ferdinand VII of Spain signs the Decree of the 4th of May, returning Spain to absolutism.
- Jul 25 English engineer George Stephenson introduces the 1st steam locomotive
- Aug 24 British forces capture Washington, D.C. and destroy many landmarks (War of 1812)
- Oct 1 Opening of the Congress of Vienna, redrew Europe's political map after the defeat of Napoléon Bonaparte
- Nov 1 Congress of Vienna opens to re-draw the European political map after the defeat of France, in the Napoleonic Wars.
- Nov 28 The Times of London first printed by automatic, steam powered presses built by German inventors Friedrich Koenig and Andreas Friedrich Bauer - makes newspapers available to a mass audience
- Dec 24 Treaty of Ghent signed, ending US Britain War of 1812
Francis Scott Key inspired to write the poem "Defence of Fort M'Henry", later becomes lyrics of the "Star-Spangled Banner"
On September 14, 1814