- Jan 1 Emancipation Proclamation issued by Abraham Lincoln to free slaves in US confederate states
- Apr 21 Bahá'u'lláh, founder of the Bahá'í Faith, enters gardens of Rivden, near Baghdad. Makes the declaration of aha'u'llah during 12 days spent there
- Jul 1 Battle of Gettysburg, Pa; Lee's northward advance halted
- Jul 3 Battle of Gettysburg, largest battle ever fought on the American continent, ends in a major victory for the Union during the US Civil War
- Jul 30 Indian Wars: Chief Pocatello of the Shoshone tribe signs the Treaty of Box Elder, promising to stop harassing the emigrant trails in southern Idaho and northern Utah.
- Oct 26 International conference begins in Geneva aimed at improving medical conditions on battlefields - beginning of the Red Cross
- Oct 26 Football Association forms in England, standardizing soccer, splitting with rugby
- Nov 19 US President Lincoln delivers his Gettysburg address beginning; "Four score & seven years ago..."
- Dec 8 Abraham Lincoln issues his Amnesty Proclamation and plan for Reconstruction of the South
4 wheeled roller skates patented by James Plimpton of NY
On January 4, 1863