- Apr 11 The Shogunate is abolished in Japan.
- Apr 13 Abyssinian War ends as British and Indian troops capture Magdala and Ethiopian Emperor commits suicide
- May 30 'Decoration Day', later called Memorial Day, first observed in Northern US states
- Jun 23 Christopher Latham Sholes patents the "Type-writer"
- Dec 25 Despite bitter opposition, US President Andrew Johnson grants unconditional pardon to all persons involved in Southern rebellion (Civil War)
French Astronomer Pierre Janssen discovers helium in solar spectrum during eclipse
On August 18, 1868