- Jan 6 Alfred Wegener, geophysicist and meteorologist, presents his controversial theory of continental drift in a lecture at a the Geological Association (Geologischen Vereinigung) at the Senckenberg-Museum, Frankfurt.
- Jan 17 Captain Robert Scott's expedition arrives at the South Pole, one month after Roald Amundsen
- Feb 12 Last Ch'ing (Manchu) emperor of China, Hsuan T'ung, abdicates
- Mar 7 Roald Amundsen announces discovery of the South Pole
- Mar 29 Capt Robert Scott, storm-bound in a tent near South Pole, makes last entry in his diary "the end cannot be far"
- Apr 10 RMS Titanic sets sail from Southampton for her maiden (and final) voyage
- Apr 14 RMS Titanic hits an iceberg at 11.40pm off Newfoundland
- Apr 15 RMS Titanic sinks at 2:27 AM off Newfoundland as the band plays on
- May 7 Columbia University approves plans for awarding the Pulitzer Prize in several categories, after established by Joseph Pulitzer
RMS Titanic sets sail from Southampton for her maiden (and final) voyage
On April 10, 1912