- Jan 8 WWI: ANZAC forces withdraw from the Gallipoli Peninsula after Ottoman forces successfully defend access to Constantinople
- Feb 21 World War I: Battle of Verdun begins, leads to an estimated 1 million casualties
- Apr 24 Easter Rising of Irish republicans against British occupation begins in Dublin
- Apr 29 Irish republicans abandon the post office in Dublin and surrender unconditionally, marking the end of the Easter Rising
- May 31 Battle of Jutland: Largest naval battle of World War I between the British Grand Fleet and the German High Seas Fleet which killed 8,645 in an inconclusive battle but strategic British victory. The German fleet never put to sea again.
- Jun 10 Great Arab Revolt begins against ruling Ottoman turks
- Jul 1 First day of the Battle of the Somme: the British Army suffers its worst day, losing 19,240 men (WWI)
- Sep 6 1st true supermarket, the "Piggly Wiggly" is opened by Clarence Saunders in Memphis, Tennessee
- Sep 17 The Red Baron [Manfred von Richthofen], WWI flying ace of the German Luftstreitkräfte, wins his first aerial combat near Cambrai, France
- Nov 1 Paul Miliukov delivers in the Russian State Duma the famous "stupidity or treason" speech, precipitating the downfall of the Boris Stürmer government.
American oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller becomes the world's first billionaire
On September 29, 1916
First use of tanks in warfare, "Little Willies" at Battle of Flers-Courcelette, part of the Battle of the Somme
On September 15, 1916