- Mar 16 Adolf Hitler orders German rearmament in violation of The Treaty of Versailles
- Apr 14 Black Sunday: Severe sandstorm ravages the US Midwest, creating the "Dust Bowl"
- May 25 Track and field athlete Jesse Owens equals or breaks 4 world records in 45 minutes at a Big Ten meet at Ferry Field in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Remembered as "the greatest 45 minutes ever in sport".
- May 31 7.7 magnitude earthquake hits Quetta in Balochistan, British Raj (Pakistan) killing an estimated 50,000 people
- Jun 2 Babe Ruth, 40, announces his retirement as a player
- Jun 16 US Congress accepts FDR's "New Deal"
- Jul 30 1st Penguin book is published, starting the paperback revolution
- Oct 3 Italy invades Ethiopia, starting the Second Italo-Ethiopian War
- Oct 20 Communist forces end their Long March at Yan'an, in Shaanxi, China, bringing Mao Zedong to prominence
- Nov 22 Flying boat "China Clipper" takes off from Alameda, California, carrying 100,000 pieces of mail on 1st trans-Pacific airmail flight
Coopers Inc. sells the world's first men's briefs in Chicago, calls it the "Jockey"
On January 19, 1935