- Jan 13 Hitler declares "Total War"
- Jan 18 Soviets announce they have broken the long siege of Leningrad by Nazi Germany
- Jan 31 General Friedrich von Paul surrenders to Soviet troops at Stalingrad
- Feb 2 German 6th Army surrenders after Battle of Stalingrad in a major turning point in Europe during World War II
- Feb 9 Japanese troops evacuate Guadalcanal, ends epic WWII battle on the Solomon Islands in the Pacific
- Mar 3 Battle of the Bismarck Sea: Australian and American air forces devastate Japanese navy convoy
- Mar 14 World War II: Kraków Ghetto is "liquidated"
- May 12 Axis forces in North Africa surrender
- May 16 Operation Chastise: No. 617 Squadron RAF begins the famous Dambusters Raid, bombing the Möhne and Eder dams in the Ruhr valley with bouncing bombs
- Jun 3 A mob of 60 from the Los Angeles Naval Reserve Armory beat up everyone perceived to be Hispanic, starting the week-long Zoot Suit Riots.
World's largest office building, the Pentagon is completed
On January 15, 1943
World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt travels from Miami to Morocco to meet with Winston Churchill, becoming the first American president to travel by airplane
On January 14, 1943