- Mauthausen Concentration camp in Austria liberated by US forces from 41st Reconnaissance Squadron.
- Netherlands & Denmark liberated from Nazi control
- Premier Gerbrandy on Radio Orange tells Dutch they are liberated
- Uprising against occupying SS troops in Prague
World War II: Admiral Karl Dönitz, leader of Germany after Hitler's death, orders all U-boats to cease offensive operations and return to their bases.
- Jiri Svoboda, composer (Accumulator 1)
- Kurt Loder, Entertainment reporter
- Raphael, Spain, spanish singer (When the Sun Sets, Lo Meyur de Ano)
- Elsie Mitchell and five Sunday school students become the only people to die due to world war two on the main land of the United States when they are killed by a Japanese fire balloon that landed in the forest of Gearhart Mountain, near Bly, Southern Oregon
- Peter Van Pels, Jewish Refugee (b. 1926)