- Jan 7 Georgetown-IBM experiment, the first public demonstration of a machine translation system, is held in New York at the head office of IBM.
- Mar 22 First shopping mall opened in Southfield, Michigan
- Apr 7 US President Dwight D. Eisenhower in news conference is first to voice fear of a "domino-effect" of communism in Indo-China
- Apr 18 Colonel Gamal Abdal Nasser seizes power & becomes Prime Minister of Egypt
- Apr 25 Bell labs announces the 1st solar battery made from silicon. It has about 6% efficiency.
- May 6 Roger Bannister of the UK becomes the 1st person to run a 4 minute mile, recording 3:59:4 at Iffley Road, Oxford
- Jul 20 Armistice for Indo-China signed, Vietnam separates into North & South
- Aug 11 Formal peace ends 7+ yrs of fighting in Indochina between French & Communist Viet Minh
- Sep 21 1st nuclear submarine, USS Nautilus, commissioned under Commander Eugene P. Wilkinson
- Oct 10 Ho Chi Minh enters Hanoi after withdrawal of French troops
USS Nautilus, the first nuclear-powered submarine, launched on the Thames, Connecticut.
On January 21, 1954