- Jan 30 State funeral of Winston Churchill at St Paul's Cathedral in London. Then world's largest ever state funeral.
- Mar 18 Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space.
- Mar 22 US confirms its troops used chemical warfare against the Vietcong
- Mar 31 US orders first combat troops to Vietnam
- May 5 First large-scale US Army ground units arrive in South Vietnam
- Jun 7 The Supreme Court of the United States decides on Griswold v. Connecticut, effectively legalizing the use of contraception by married couples.
- Aug 6 US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act prohibiting voting discrimination against minorities
- Aug 9 Singapore separates from the Federation of Malaysia and gains its independence
- Nov 27 1st French satellite launched; France becomes 3rd nation in space
- Dec 7 Pope Paul VI & Orthodox Patriarch Athenagoras I simultaneously lift mutual excommunications that led to split of 2 churches in 1054
"Vinland Map" is introduced by Yale University as being the first known map of America, drawn about 1440
On October 10, 1965
Bob Dylan booed for playing electric guitar at a concert in New York's Forest Hills
On August 28, 1965