- Jan 21 The Battle of Khe Sanh - one of the most publicized and controversial battles of the Vietnam War - begins at the Khe Sanh Air Base
- Feb 1 Saigon police chief Nguyễn Ngọc Loan executes Viet Cong officer Nguyễn Văn Lém with a pistol shot to head. The execution is captured by photographer Eddie Adams and becomes an anti-war icon.
- Apr 4 US civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee
- Apr 11 US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs 1968 Civil Rights Act
- Apr 20 British politician Enoch Powell makes his controversial "Rivers of Blood" speech
- Apr 23 1st decimal coins issued in Britain (5 & 10 new pence, replacing shilling and two-shilling pieces)
- Aug 20 During the night 200,00 Warsaw Pact Soviet led troops begin to invade Czechoslovakia in response to the Prague Spring
- Aug 24 France becomes the world's fifth thermonuclear power with a detonation on Mururoa Atoll in the South Pacific
- Nov 12 US Supreme Court: Epperson v. Arkansas, court declares unconstitutional Arkansas law banning teaching evolution in public schools
- Dec 9 NLS (a system for which hypertext and the computer mouse were developed) is publicly demonstrated for the first time in San Francisco.
Houston Cougars defeat the UCLA Bruins 71-69 to win basketball's Game of the Century and end UCLA's 47 game winning streak
On January 20, 1968
Richard Dodd returns a library book his great grandfather took out in 1823 from the University of Cincinnati
On December 7, 1968