- Feb 9 British government declares state of emergency after month-long coal miners' strike
- Feb 17 British Parliament votes to join the European Common Market
- Mar 30 Northern Ireland's Government and Parliament dissolved by the British Government and 'direct rule' from Westminster is introduced
- Apr 10 US, USSR & 70 other nations agree to ban biological weapons
- May 28 White House "plumbers" break into the Democratic National Headquarters at Watergate in Washington D.C.
- Jun 23 Hurricane Agnes becomes America's costliest natural disaster, effecting 15 states, with 119 deaths and $3 billion in damage
- Aug 3 U.S. Senate ratifies the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
- Sep 5 11 Israeli athletes taken hostage and later killed by Palestinian Black September group at the Munich Olympics
- Nov 29 Co-founder of Atari, Nolan Bushnell releases Pong, first commercially successful video game in Andy Capp's Tavern in Sunnyvale, California
The Don't Make A Wave Committee, a fledgling environmental organization founded in Canada in 1971, officially changes its name to "Greenpeace Foundation".
On May 4, 1972