- Jan 23 US President Nixon announces an accord has been reached to end Vietnam War
- Jan 27 US & North Vietnam's William Rogers & Nguyen Duy Trinh sign cease-fire, ending longest US war and miltary draft
- Mar 8 The Provisional Irish Republican Army undertakes its first operation in Great Britain, planting four car bombs in London; 10 members of PIRA are arrested at Heathrow Airport while trying to leave the country
- Apr 3 The first portable cell phone call is made in New York City, United States.
- May 17 Senate Watergate Committee begins its hearings
- Oct 20 Queen Elizabeth II opens Sydney Opera House
- Oct 30 The Bosporus Bridge in Istanbul, Turkey is completed, connecting the continents of Europe and Asia over the Bosporus for the first time
- Dec 15 American Psychiatric Association declares homosexuality is not a mental illness
A patent for the ATM is granted to Don Wetzel, Tom Barnes and George Chastain.
On June 4, 1973