- Richard Skrenta writes the first PC virus code, which is 400 lines long and disguised as an Apple boot program called "Elk Cloner".
- US female Figure Skating championship won by Rosalynn Sumners
- Jorge Cantu, Mexican baseball player
- Félix L V L J Labisse, French painter (libidoscaphes), dies at 76
Lightnin' [Sam] Hopkins, American blues musician (Ball of Twine), dies of esophageal cancer at 69
- Lightning Hopkins, rocker, dies of cancer at 69
- Riccardo Nielsen, composer, dies at 73
- Stanley Holloway, comedian (My Fair Lady, Our Man Higgins), dies at 91