- Feb 6 Solidarity union leader Lech Wałęsa begins negotiating with Polish government
- Apr 21 Thousands of Chinese crowd into Beijing's Tiananmen Square cheering students demanding greater political freedom
- May 13 Approx 2,000 students begin hunger strike in Tiananmen Square, China
- Jun 2 10,000 Chinese soldiers are blocked by 100,000 citizens protecting students demonstrating for democracy in Tiananmen Square, Beijing
- Jun 3 Beginning of the Tiananmen Square Massacre as Chinese troops open fire on pro-democracy supporters in Beijing
- Jun 4 Eastern Europe's 1st partial free elections in 40 years held in Poland, Solidarity Party comes to power
- Jun 4 Tiananmen Square Massacre: Chinese troops clear the square of student protesters, unofficial figures place death toll near 1,000.
- Nov 10 Germans begin demolishing the Berlin Wall
- Dec 3 Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and US President George H. W. Bush, declare the Cold War over
- Dec 22 After 23 years of dictatorial rule, Romania ousts Nicolae Ceausescu
A solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto's stock market.
On August 16, 1989
Japanese scientist achieve -271.8°C, coldest temperature ever recorded
On December 25, 1989