- Feb 7 The IRA launches a mortar attack on 10 Downing Street during a cabinet meeting.
- Feb 28 Gulf War ends after Iraq accepts a ceasefire following their retreat from Kuwait
- Mar 3 Los Angeles police officers severely beat motorist Rodney King, the beating is famously captured on amateur video and later leads to riots when the police officers are acquitted
- Jun 19 Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar surrenders to police
- Jul 10 Boris Yeltsin sworn in as 1st elected President of the Russian Federation
- Aug 6 Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web. WWW debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.
- Aug 19 Conservative members of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union attempt to depose Mikhail Gorbachev in a coup d'état
- Aug 21 Conservative coup in the Soviet Union is crushed by popular resistance led by Boris Yeltsin in three days
- Dec 12 Maastricht Treaty signed to create a European Community
- Dec 21 Soviet Union formally dissolves as 11 of 12 republics sign treaty forming Commonwealth of Independent States
Ötzi the Iceman, 3,300 BCE old mummy discovered by German tourists in Italian alps
On September 19, 1991