- Jan 13 Microsoft chairman Bill Gates steps aside as chief executive and promotes company president Steve Ballmer to the position
- Mar 10 The NASDAQ Composite stock market index peaks at 5132.52, signalling the beginning of the end of the dot-com boom
- Jun 13 President Kim Dae Jung of South Korea meets Kim Jong-il, leader of North Korea, for the beginning of the first ever inter-Korea summit, in the northern capital of Pyongyang.
- Jun 16 Israel complies with UN Security Council Resolution 425 after 22 years, which calls on Israel to completely withdraw from Lebanon. Israel withdraws from all of Lebanon, except the disputed Sheba Farms.
- Jun 19 Tiger Woods wins golf's US Open by 15 shots, a record for all majors, with a US Open to-par record score of -12
- Aug 21 82nd PGA Championship: Tiger Woods become the first golfer since Ben Hogan in 1953 to win 3 majors in a calendar year. He ties the to-par record for the PGA (-18) with Bob May, and wins in a playoff
- Nov 7 Controversial US presidential election that was later resolved in the Bush v. Gore Supreme Court Case
- Dec 12 United States Supreme Court releases its decision in Bush v. Gore
Hillary Clinton is elected to the US Senate, becoming first US First Lady to win public office and while still the First Lady
On November 7, 2000
- Jan 4 Rhiannon Leigh Wryn, American actress
- May 2 Angel Sy, Filipina child actor
- May 10 Shyann McClure, American actress and model
- Jul 27 Kali Rodriguez, American actress
- Aug 5 Maya Bond, American singer and musician