- Francesco Cossiga, Italian politician and former President of the Italian Republic, resigned from his position as lifetime senator.
The Canadian House of Commons endorses Prime Minister Stephen Harper's motion to declare Québécois a nation within a unified Canada.
- "Baywatch" actress Pamela Anderson (39) divorces singer Kid Rock (36) due to irreconcilable differences only 4 months after getting married
Actress Selma Blair (34) divorces actor-rocker Ahmet Zappa (32) due to irreconcilable differences after more than 2 years of marriage
- Alan Freeman, British disc jockey known by his nickname 'Fluff' (b. 1927)
- Bebe Moore Campbell, American author (b. 1950)
- Casey Coleman, American sportscaster (b. 1951)
- Don Butterfield, American tuba player (b. 1923)