- Jan 21 Black Monday in worldwide stock markets. FTSE 100 had its biggest ever one-day points fall, European stocks closed with their worst result since 9/11, and Asian stocks drop as much as 15%.
- Feb 24 Fidel Castro retires as the President of Cuba due to ill health after nearly fifty years
- May 2 Cyclone Nargis makes landfall in Myanmar killing over 130,000 people and leaving millions of people homeless.
- May 12 Wenchuan earthquake, measuring 7.8 in magnitude occurs in Sichuan, China, killing over 87,000, injuring 374,643 and leaving homeless between 4.8 million and 11 million people
- May 31 Usain Bolt breaks the world record in the 100m sprint, with a wind-legal (+1.7m/s) 9.72 seconds.
- Aug 16 Usain Bolt sets a new 100 metres world record of 9.69 seconds at the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics
- Aug 27 Barack Obama becomes the first African-American to be nominated by a major political party for President of the United States
- Sep 10 The Large Hadron Collider at CERN, described as the biggest scientific experiment in the history of mankind is powered up in Geneva, Switzerland
- Sep 29 Dow Jones Industrial Average falls 777.68 points, its largest single-day point loss, following the bankruptcies of Lehman Brothers and Washington Mutual
- Oct 24 "Bloody Friday" saw many of the world's stock exchanges experienced the worst declines in their history, with drops of around 10% in most indices.
Thomas Beatie, the world's first pregnant man, gives birth to a daughter
On June 29, 2008