- 1397 Geoffrey Chaucer tells the "Canterbury Tales" for the first time at the court of English King Richard II
- 1492 Christopher Columbus signs contract with Spain to find the "Indies"
- 1895 Treaty of Shimonoseki is signed ending the First Sino-Japanese War (1894-95)
- 1961 1,400 Cuban exiles land in Bay of Pigs in a doomed attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro
- 1982 Canada adopts its constitution
St Cuthbert Gospel, Europe's oldest intact book (8th century), purchased by the British Library for 9 million pounds
On April 17, 2012