- 1025 Bolesław Chrobry is crowned in Gniezno, becoming the first King of Poland.
- 1506 The cornerstone of the current St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican, is laid.
- 1775 Paul Revere & William Dawes ride from Charleston to Lexington warning the "regulars are coming!"
- 1783 Fighting ceases in the American Revolution, eight years to the day since it began.
- 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire kills nearly 4,000 while destroying 75% of the city
- 1954 Colonel Gamal Abdal Nasser seizes power & becomes Prime Minister of Egypt
1st crossword puzzle book published (Simon & Schuster)
On April 18, 1924