- 1453 Mehmed II begins his siege of Constantinople (İstanbul), which falls May 29
- 1792 The Coinage Act is passed establishing the United States Mint and authorizing the $10 Eagle, $5 half-Eagle & 2.50 quarter-Eagle gold coins & silver dollar, ½ dollar, quarter, dime & half-dime
- 1801 Napoleonic Wars: naval Battle of Copenhagen - The British led by Horatio Nelson destroy the Danish fleet.
- 1917 US President Woodrow Wilson asks Congress to declare war against Germany
- 1930 Ras Tafari Makonnen becomes Emperor Haile Selassie of Abyssinia (Ethiopia)
- 1982 Several thousand Argentine troops seize the Falkland (Malvinas) Islands from Great Britain
"Electric Theatre", the first full-time movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles, California
On April 2, 1902