- 1479 BC Thutmose III ascends to the throne of Egypt, although power effectively shifts to Hatshepsut (according to the Low Chronology of the 18th Dynasty).
- 1184 BC The Greeks enter Troy using the Trojan Horse (traditional date).
- 1877 Russo-Turkish War, 1877-78: Russia declares war on the Ottoman Empire.
- 1898 Spanish-American War: Spain declares war after rejecting US ultimatum to withdraw from Cuba
- 1916 Easter Rising of Irish republicans against British occupation begins in Dublin
- 1967 Vietnam War: American General William Westmoreland says in a news conference that the enemy had "gained support in the United States that gives him hope that he can win politically that which he cannot win militarily."
"Boston News-Letter" 1st successful newspaper in US, forms
On April 24, 1704