- 1478 Pazzi conspirators attack Lorenzo de'Medici & kill Giuliano de'Medici
- 1607 1st English colony in American lands at Cape Henry, Virginia
- 1920 Harlow Shapley and Heber D. Curtis hold "great debate" on the nature of nebulae, galaxies and size of the universe at US National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.
- 1945 Marshal Henri Philippe Petain, leader of France's Vichy collaborationist regime during WW II, arrested for treason
- 1956 First modern container ship, the Ideal X, leaves Port Newark, New Jersey for Houston, Texas
- 2005 Under international pressure, Syria withdraws the last of its 14,000 troop military garrison in Lebanon, ending its 29-year military domination of that country.
Dan Sickles is acquitted of murder on grounds of temporary insanity - 1st time this defense used successfully in the US
On April 26, 1859