- 1565 1st Spanish settlement in Philippines, Cebu City, forms
- 1865 Steamboat "SS Sultana" explodes in the Mississippi River, killing up to 1,800 of the 2,427 passengers in the greatest maritime disaster in United States history. Most were paroled Union POWs on their way home.
- 1904 The Australian Labor Party under Chris Watson becomes the first Labour government in the world
- 1945 Italian partisans capture Benito Mussolini at Dongo (Lake Como)
- 2005 The Superjumbo jet aircraft Airbus A380 makes its first flight from Toulouse, France
Blind and impoverished, John Milton sells the copyright of Paradise Lost for £10.
On April 27th, 1667