- 1862 New Orleans falls to Union forces during US Civil War
- 1864 Battle of Gate Pa (Pukehinahina): 1,700 British troops suffer their worst defeat of the New Zealand Wars at the hands of 230 entrenched Maori warriors in Tauranga
- 1916 Irish republicans abandon the post office in Dublin and surrender unconditionally, marking the end of the Easter Rising
- 1945 US Army liberates 31,601 in Nazi concentration camp in Dachau, Germany
- 1975 Vietnam War: Operation Frequent Wind: The U.S. begins to evacuate US citizens from Saigon prior to an expected North Vietnamese takeover. U.S. involvement in the war comes to an end.
- 1990 Wrecking cranes began tearing down the Berlin Wall at the Brandenburg Gate
- 1997 The Chemical Weapons Convention of 1993 comes into force, outlaws production, stockpiling and use of chemical weapons among its signatories.
1st edition of Peter Roget's Thesaurus published
On April 29th, 1852