- 1645 English Long Parliament passes the Self-Denying Ordinance, limiting regional armies, significant step toward New Model Army
- 1922 Joseph Stalin appointed General Secretary of the Russian Communist Party by Vladimir Lenin
- 1930 Ras Tafari becomes Emperor Haile Selassie of Abyssinia (Ethiopia)
- 1948 US President Harry Truman signs Marshall Plan ($5B aid to 16 European countries)
- 1973 The first portable cell phone call is made in New York City, United States.
American outlaw Jesse James is killed by Robert Ford at home in St Joseph
On April 3rd, 1882