- 1242 Alexander Nevsky of Novgorod defeats Teutonic Knights in the Battle of the Ice
- 1818 In the Battle of Maipú, Chile's independence movement - led by Bernardo O'Higgins and José de San Martín - win a decisive victory over Spain, leaving 2,000 Spaniards and 1,000 Chilean patriots dead.
- 1874 Birkenhead Park, the first civic public park, designed by Joseph Paxton, opens in Birkenhead, England
- 1879 Chile declares war on Bolivia and Peru, starting the War of the Pacific.
- 1974 World Trade Center, then the world's tallest building, opens in New York (110 stories)
Firestone Tire and Rubber Company starts producing inflatable tires
On April 5, 1923