- 46 BC Julius Caesar defeats Caecilius Metellus Scipio and Marcus Porcius Cato (Cato the Younger) in the battle of Thapsus.
- 1652 Cape Colony, the 1st European settlement in South Africa, established by Dutch East India Company under John of Riebeeck
- 1789 1st US Congress begins regular sessions, Federal Hall, NYC
- 1889 George Eastman begins selling his Kodak flexible rolled film for the first time
- 1896 1st modern Olympic games open in Athens Greece [3/25 OS] American, James Connolly, wins 1st Olympic gold medal in mod history
- 1994 The Rwandan Genocide begins when the aircraft carrying Rwandan president Juvénal Habyarimana and Burundian president Cyprien Ntaryamira is shot down.
Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia, ends tax on men with beards
On April 6, 1722