- 1121 Battle of Didgori: the Georgian army under King David the Builder wins a decisive victory over the famous Seljuk commander Ilghazi.
- 1480 Battle of Otranto - Ottoman troops behead 800 Christians for refusing to convert to Islam.
- 1851 Isaac Singer patents sewing machine
- 1908 Henry Ford's company builds the first Model T car
- 1981 IBM introduces its first Personal Computer (PC & PC-DOS version 1.0)
The last quagga (zebra subspecies) dies at the Artis Magistra zoo in Amsterdam.
On August 12th, 1883