- 1461 The Empire of Trebizond surrenders to the forces of Sultan Mehmet II. This is regarded by some historians as the real end of the Byzantine Empire. Emperor David is exiled and later murdered.
- 1620 Mayflower sets sail from Southampton with 102 Pilgrims
- 1900 In China, the Empress and some of her family, the court, and retainers flee while foreign troops move through Peking in an attempt to put down the Boxer Rebellion
- 1947 India gains independence from Great Britain, remains a dominion until 1950
- 1969 Woodstock Music & Art Fair opens in NY State (Max Yasgur's Dairy Farm)
- 1998 Omagh bomb in Northern Ireland, the worst terrorist incident of The Troubles, killed 29 people and injured about 220
King Duncan I of Scotland killed in battle against his first cousin and rival Macbeth (not murdered in his sleep as per Shakespeare's play). The latter does succeed him as King.
On August 15th, 1040