- 1743 Earliest boxing code of rules formulated in England (Jack Broughton)
- 1896 Gold first discovered in Klondike, found at Bonanza Creek, Alaska by George Carmack
- 1945 Puyi, the last Chinese Emperor and ruler of Manchukuo is captured by Soviet troops
- 1946 Direct Action Day: Widespread riots erupt in Calcutta between Muslims and Hindus over whether Pakistan should be a separate state, killing over 4,000 and leaving 100,000 homeless
- 2008 Usain Bolt sets a new 100 metres world record of 9.69 seconds at the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics
- 2012 Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange is granted political asylum by Ecuador
A solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto's stock market.
On August 16, 1989