- 1146 European leaders outlaw crossbow, intending to end war for all time
- 1363 Beginning date of the Battle of Lake Poyang; the forces of two Chinese rebel leaders— Chen Youliang and Zhu Yuanzhang—are pitted against each other in what was one of the largest naval battles in history, during the last decade of the ailing, Mongol-led Yuan Dynasty.
- 1590 Tokugawa Ieyasu enters Edo Castle. (Traditional Japanese date: August 1, 1590)
- 1928 Jawaharlal Nehru requests independence of India
- 1941 Siege of Leningrad by German troops begins during WWII
- 1963 Hotline communication link between Pentagon (Washington, D.C.) and the Klemlin (Moscow) installed
1st recorded occurrence of a comet hitting the sun (energy=1 million hydrogen bombs)
On August 30, 1979