- 1056 Byzantine Empress Theodora becomes ill, dying suddenly a few days later, without children to succeed the throne, ending the Macedonian dynasty.
- 1142 Possible date for establishment of the Iroquois (Haudenosaunee) League - with the aid of Hiawatha and Deganawidah
- 1945 The Liberal Party of Australia is founded by Robert Menzies.
- 1957 federation of malaya gains independence from Great Britain
- 1994 The Provisional Irish Republican Army declares a ceasefire.
- 1997 Diana, Princess of Wales, dies in a car crash in a road tunnel, Paris
A J Reach Co patents cork-centered baseball
On August 31st, 1909