- 1520 Martin Luther publicly burned papal edict demands he recant
- 1684 Isaac Newton's derivation of Kepler's laws from his theory of gravity, contained in the paper De motu corporum in gyrum, is read to the Royal Society by Edmund Halley.
- 1898 Spanish-American War formally ended by the Treaty of Paris; US acquires Philippines, Puerto Rico & Guam
- 1901 First Nobel Peace Prizes awarded (to Jean Henri Dunant, Frederic Passy)
- 1936 Edward VIII signs Instrument of Abdication, giving up British throne to marry Wallis Simpson
- 1964 Nobel Peace Prize presented to Dr Martin Luther King Jr. in Oslo
Metric system adopted in France, first country to do so
On December 10, 1799