- 1620 103 Mayflower pilgrims land at Plymouth Rock (12/21 NS)
- 1792 France's King Louis XVI goes on trial, accused of high treason and crimes against the state
- 1913 "Mona Lisa" recovered 2 years after it was stolen from the Louvre Museum
- 1931 Statute of Westminster gives complete legislative independence to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland (Free State), and Newfoundland (not then part of Canada)
- 1936 Edward VIII announces in a radio broadcast that he is abdicating the British throne to marry Wallis Simpson
- 1946 UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) established (Nobel 1965)
Llywelyn ab Gruffydd/Llywelyn the Last, last native Prince of Wales is killed at Cilmeri, near Builth Wells, south Wales. Reigned from 1259.
On December 11, 1282