- 533 Byzantine general Belisarius defeats the Vandals, commanded by King Gelimer, at the Battle of Ticameron.
- 1256 Hulagu Khan captures and destroys the Hashshashin stronghold at Alamut in present-day Iran as part of the Mongol offensive on Islamic southwest Asia.
- 1488 Bartolomeu Dias returns to Portugal after becoming 1st known European to sail round Cape of Good Hope
- 1612 German Astronomer Simon Marius is 1st to observe Andromeda galaxy through a telescope
- 1791 US Bill of Rights ratified when Virginia gives its approval. Becomes amendments 1-10 of the US constitution
- 1973 American Psychiatric Association declares homosexuality is not a mental illness
State of Holland grants patent on windmill with crankshaft
On December 15, 1593