- 755 An Lushan revolts against Chancellor Yang Guozhong at Fanyang, initiating the An Shi Rebellion during the Tang Dynasty of China.
- 1598 Seven Year War: Battle of Noryang Point - The final battle of the Seven Year War is fought between the Korean and Japanese navies, resulting in a decisive Korean victory.
- 1653 Parliamentarian General Oliver Cromwell appointed as Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland
- 1773 Boston tea party incident - Sons of Liberty protesters throw tea shipments into Boston harbour in protest against British imposed Tea Act
- 1944 Ardennes campaign ('Battle of the Bulge') begins in Belgium
- 1998 Iraq disarmament crisis: Operation Desert Fox - the United States and United Kingdom bomb targets in Iraq.
English Parliament passes Bill of Rights establishing limits on crown powers and requirement for regular elections
On December 16, 1689