- 1776 Thomas Paine published his 1st "American Crisis" essay, in which he wrote, "These are the times that try men's souls"
- 1783 William Pitt the Younger becomes the youngest ever British Prime Minister at age 24
- 1922 Theresa Vaughn, 24, confesses in court in Sheffield, England, to being married 61 times over 5 years in 50 cities in three countries
- 1932 British Broadcasting Corp begins transmitting overseas
- 1950 Tibet's Dalai Lama flees Chinese invasion
- 1958 1st radio broadcast from space (President Eisenhower voice "To all mankind, America's wish for Peace on Earth & Good Will to Men Everywhere")
"A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens is published, 6,000 copies sold
On December 19, 1843