- 962 Byzantine-Arab Wars: Under the future Emperor Nicephorus Phocas, Byzantine troops stormed the city of Aleppo, recovering the tattered tunic of John the Baptist.
- 1688 King James II, the last Roman Catholic British monarch flees to France from William of Orange
- 1783 General George Washington resigns his military commission as Commander-in-Chief of the Army to Congress
- 1888 Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh cuts off his left ear with a razor, and sends it to a prostitute for safe keeping
- 1920 Government of Ireland Act / Home Rule Act passed partitioning Ireland
- 1954 The first human kidney transplant is performed by Dr. Joseph E. Murray at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
4 women ordained priests in Jamaica, 1st in 330-year Anglican history
On December 23, 1996